Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Friends in the Gospel

I had a GREAT conversation with a darling new friend today. And she asked me some questions that really struck a chord. I answered her the best I could and then after pondering the topic some more, I answered her again! I also felt inspired to use this as a place to testify of the things I know, and the things I am learning. I am trying to be a better missionary. I feel like I am the kind of person who loves to share. Mostly things like, cookies, jokes, SHOES!, clothes, and even my husband's toothbrush (gross! but true) So if I love to share the things I love, why would my knowledge of the gospel be any different? So I have been trying to be a good friend to those I come in contact with and share the gospel with them AS APPROPRIATE...I'm not trying to be awkward and creepy about it. But in turn, I have found it blessing my life immensely. I had a strange feeling a few weeks ago. I was sitting next to a girl who was investigating the church--since been baptized yeehaw!--and who has become a good friend of mine. And this was before I new her very well. We were just sitting there in Relief Society when I had this crazy, immense, overwhelming feeling of LOVE fill me. Well I couldn't very well do anything about it at the moment without freaking anyone out but I truly felt my heart swell with love for this Sister. It made me smile. And it testified to me that this was a good friendship to have.

So back to the conversation I had today with another new friend of mine. She asked me if  I thought she would go to hell for not going to church. At first I answered her mostly testifying of why I go to church and how it helps me personally, and how it helps us learn about Christ and the atonement. Then of course when I came home, Jaxon helped me realize the more helpful answers I should have given. Here is what I wrote her. And I wanted it to share with "all" of you.

I was thinking about our conversation earlier. And the reason I know it is right to go to church is because when Jesus was on the earth he established a church. It was CHRIST"S church, CHRIST'S gospel, and the purpose of church was to teach us how to follow CHRIST that we may live with him and our father in heaven again after this life on earth. You also mentioned you weren't sure where we go after our time here, and that is what we learn at church. We learn about our eternal lives. How we can return home to our father in heaven by following the teachings of Christ. so, your question "do we go to hell for not attending church?" I wouldn't go as far to say that we go to HELL but I do know that by going to church we learn what we must do to return to live with our heavenly father and be with our families and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment